Monday, March 2, 2015

"All changed, changed utterly"

                               
                                                        
                                                    "All changed, changed utterly"   
                                                              

Yet again the inspiration for my blog come from a poem by W.B Yeats, it is from "Easter 1916". If you have not looked at his poetry before I recommend you do. I would describe him as a painter who uses words instead of paint. He conveys feelings, settings and atmosphere simply with few words. 

In "Easter, 1916" Yeats discusses the heroes of the Irish 1916 rebellion , it is an apology and a lament of the human loss  from the rising quickly put down by the British. The changes that Yeats refers to is the re-awakening of the Irish people. The heroes of 1916 brought attention to the dream of Irish freedom, something that had thought to have been forgotten. This changed everything, and people sided with the rebel cause. It is widely accepted that the 1916 rebellion lead to our freedom in 1922.

Perhaps some people may be offended that I am using the lines of such an iconic poem to describe my life here in Baia Mare. Yet Yeat's reflection on change and life has always hit a note with me. This weekend we said good bye to four volunteers. Carmen, Salome, Aysel and Sarah went home. Their EVS adventure is  over and new exciting ones will begin!

When I arrived here there were nine volunteers, we became a tight-knit team through work and play. And now  they have left, leaving those left behind feeling that our lives will be changed without them. We will not work and party together anymore. I will miss them all but I know we will meet again.

 Change is constant in life it is what keeps it interesting. Yet funnily it is also the thing we humans seem to fear the most. We insist on buying products like pensions and insurance to assure us that things will remain the same, yet they cannot. But there is no EVS insurance to protect me from this change. I and my team step forward without our friends who have left and continue on our journey knowing that "All has changed, changed utterly."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home